Tiles are an expensive investment that will last a lifetime if looked after properly. It is necessary to seal porous floor tiles such as terracotta, porcelain, travertine, granite and marble as when they are newly laid, and all grouts, to avoid ugly staining.
Sealing tiles and grout provides protection against staining and degradation from harsh chemical cleaners.
Unsealed tiles may stain immediately, and unsealed grout will most certainly stain, however, sealed tile floors will not stain for up to four hours after a spill. Once your floors are sealed, you should consider a maintenance schedule of two to three years for cleaning and re-sealing. This will maintain your tiles at optimum beauty.
Grout is porous and should always be sealed. Sealing grout around your tiles will save you time and money because once the grout is badly stained, it will require full regrouting.
The Stone & Tile Specialists have been operating around the Sunshine Coast area, including Caloundra, Noosa, and Maroochydore for thirty years, and we can provide the right machines and knowledge to seal tile floors, tile walls and outdoor tiled areas in both domestic and commercial properties. If you are embarking on a new build or complete renovation, we have friendly, experienced staff available to advise on the best flooring for your needs and climatic conditions, and to clean and seal your new tiles.
The Stone & Tile Specialists offer tile sealing services for:
- Travertine tiles – a form of limestone, travertine is a soft stone with natural surface holes and crevices which require regular maintenance
- Terracotta tiles – clay tiles that vary in colour and texture, these are porous and should be sealed before use
- Sandstone tiles – with a grainy texture and huge variations in appearance, most sandstone, especially coarse-grained tiles, will require sealing to protect the surface
- Slate tiles – can be polished and sealed or left in their natural state. Slate is a sturdy surface that will stand the test of time if cleaned and sealed correctly
- Limestone tiles – these should be pre-sealed before installation because they are soft and susceptible to marking and scratching. Not recommended for high traffic areas
- Marble tiles – seal when newly laid and keep grit free to avoid scratching and damage. Marble tiles may need repolishing every few years in high traffic areas
- Porcelain tiles – these man-made tiles are fine-grained and glazed or unglazed. They are hard wearing and do not usually require the same amount of maintenance, however cleaning and resealing will preserve their beauty
- Granite tiles – practically impervious to scratching, staining and may only need sealing to protect the grout
- Bluestone tiles – a hardwearing, fine-grained stone that is perfect for high traffic areas, Bluestone will require sealing to protect the grout
The Tile & Stone Specialists also help our customers with:
- High pressure cleaning for outdoor hard surfaces
- Grout & Tile Cleaning
- Grout sealing and/ or recolouring
- Marble & Stone polishing
- Revamping vinyl floors
- Flood and water damage repair
- Carpet cleaning & stain removals
- Dyeing and spot dyeing for carpets
- Upholstery cleaning and protection
- Rug & mattress cleaning
- Pest control
- Scheduled maintenance cleans
Our team has over thirty years experience in the Sunshine Coast area, and we have plenty of happy customers who come back to us time and again. Call us today for advice on tile sealing, flooring choices and cleaning options, or request a written, obligation-free quote.